What does family mean to me?
- Outline example
- How to start an essay on family importance
- How to write the thesis statement
- How to write body paragraphs
- How to conclude an essay on the meaning of family
- Revision tips
The main purpose of writing an essay is to present clear and concise statements about a specific topic. Writing personal essays involves incorporating emotional expressions to present personal experiences and how these experiences impact on the author’s life. The author needs to be creative when making a paper about the meaning of a family. Writing personal essays about a family requires proper planning, including reflecting and reviewing important events to help the author develop a good essay outline.
Presenting personal essays requires the author to interpret the meaning of a family. Writing such topics requires descriptions that capture the sensory environment of the family to enable the audience picture what the author is talking about. A good personal essay connects facts, events, sensory details and reflections to engage the target audience.
- Introduction sentence
- Thesis statement
- Background information about the family
II. BODY PARAGRAPHS
- Paragraph 1: a) Justify why the family is important; b) Share some of the personal experience within the family.
- Paragraph 2: a) Supporting the thesis statement; b) Details about the meaning and the importance of a family.
- Paragraph 3: The third supporting point about the importance of family.III. CONCLUSION
- Restating the thesis statement
- Summarizing the main points
- Making the final, conclusive sentence.
How to start an essay on family importance
The first part is an introduction, in the first paragraph, the author informs the reader about the topic. Introduction enables readers to be aware of what the writing is about. The author needs to establish the essay context and develop a framework that will enable him to approach the topic in a logical manner.
Consider the following tips when writing your introduction:
- Make sure you have all your research done before you start writing.
- Make sure that your thesis statement is strong and can withstand scrutiny.
- Try and keep the thesis statement to one sentence – two at the absolute most.
- The introduction should be focused on keeping people interested since it is the first time anybody has seen your argument.
- Keep an introduction minimal – it should not contain any arguments in it.
For example, when starting an essay about what does family mean to me, the following can be a good introduction:
“No one can deny that family is the foundation of society, a family is where we start our life journey. The family shapes us and helps us grow to achieve meaningful goals throughout our lives. When we talk about family, what comes to our minds is a group of related individuals, including children, parents and other relatives. Everyone defines family differently, however, the significance of the family is the same. The family is the most important feature in one’s life. For me, my family means everything, I can always turn to my parents and my siblings for help and affection..”
How to write the thesis statement
Writing a thesis statement requires you to boil down your argument into one single idea. Most people wait to write their thesis statements until they have finished their research for this reason. Writing a statement is best done when all the research is done (and some people wait until the entire work is written), and then formulating the statement from that.
Here is an example of the thesis statement
“The family shapes us and helps us grow to achieve meaningful goals.”
Need a custom essay?
How to write body paragraphs
After introducing the topic, the following paragraphs of the essay present the essay body with a detailed description of the topic. The body can be divided into three paragraphs, depending on the type of essay. The body part explains, describes and supports the thesis statement about the importance of a family. The author presents the main ideas in the essay body. A writer needs to organize his ideas in different sections to enable the audience to follow through.
Tips for writing body paragraphs
- Each paragraph deals with one specific argument – don’t overburden yourself.
- Make sure you have just enough research to fill the paragraph, but not so much that you get confused by what you are writing.
- Make sure the body paragraphs are in a logical order which will lead people to agree with your argument for the entire essay.
- Your body paragraphs should only deal with the arguments they are trying to make – don’t get distracted.
- Make sure that each paragraph has a topic sentence and a concluding sentence.
The first paragraph discusses the initial importance of family, in the most general terms. The second paragraph describes more details about the importance of a family, while the third focuses on why exactly that importance should be treasured.
“My family is one of my greatest pillars, my parents and my siblings influence my thoughts and behavior through their actions. My family values have greatly affected my behavior. My parents always encourage us to help those in need.”
The second paragraph provides more details about the importance of a family.
“Being able to rely on my family is another reason why the family is important. The first people I turn to when I feel discouraged or feel happy are my parents and my siblings. I share with them my joy, sorrows, achievement and major milestone in my life.”
The third paragraph can be as follows:
“I believe that blood is thicker than water, parents and siblings are always supportive and always use cordial words to encourage good behavior. For me, the family is the pillar of society, this gives it a bigger value, living in a good society depends on family structure. If the family offers adequate support, the society will be peaceful and stable.”
How to conclude an essay on the meaning of family
After presenting to the audience the importance of a family, the author needs to sum up the essay by restating the important points. Conclusion presents the final say on the issue being discussed in the paper. The author synthesizes his thoughts to demonstrate the significance of the topic and present the audience with a new view of the subject. The conclusion gives the author an opportunity to make a good lasting impression. When concluding the topic about what does family mean to me, the following can be a good conclusion.
Tips on conclusion writing:
- Remember to restate the thesis statement.
- Bring everything together into one final argument.
- This is your final chance to persuade people to your point of view.
- The conclusion should not contain any original arguments – it should only restate and draw together your previously made arguments.
- Any good conclusion should reiterate the extraneous information given in the introduction, to remind any readers about it.
Below is an example of how you can write your conclusion:
“I can’t imagine living without my family because my family is my future and it is the essence of the society. The family shapes us and helps us grow to achieve meaningful goals throughout our lives. To sum up, I believe that everything we do revolves around the family. My family to me is my parents, relatives, and friends. “
Revisions are very important, as this is the way that you get the best possible essay out of your writing. Revision is best done over several points, to make sure that you aren’t overwhelming yourself with the things you need to look out for.
- Edit once for grammar and spelling, and then again to make sure that the structure is correct.
- Make sure to pay attention the bibliography.
- This is your last chance to make sure that the argument flows logically; make it count!
- Try and give yourself some time away from the essay, to make sure that you are seeing it through fresh eyes. If you can’t do this, try and get someone else to look at your work.
- Make sure that your thesis statement matches up with the arguments you are making in the essay proper.