How to Write Good Essay Describing Myself
When students are asked to write an essay about themselves, a majority of them never take it seriously. Students are often guilty of assuming they know themselves or that such an essay should never be given to college students. However, some come to learn, albeit the hard way, the importance of writing such an essay.
Essays about oneself are indeed important and are indeed applicable in real life. For example, a student who is applying for a scholarship can be asked to describe themselves and explain why they should be given a chance. Other instances include when one is applying for college as well as when applying for a job. The main point here is, writing an assignment about yourself is just as important as writing a persuasive or an argumentative essay.
How to Start an Essay about Yourself
Writing a great essay about yourself can be challenging mainly because there is always a lot to say about oneself, especially if there is a scholarship or a college vacancy in line. People often have a lot to say whenever they are given a chance to talk or write about themselves, and this can also be a problem. Having too much information on a topic always presents writers with issues, especially when trying to formulate an introduction. On most occasions, writers are often asked to find an angle and then conduct research within the lines of their angle. However, writing an essay about yourself presents a major challenge mainly because people want to include all details about themselves. While it can be a challenge, an essay about yourself should not be a troubling exercise.
Here are tips on how to start an essay about myself:
- Write down some qualities about yourself i.e. your interests, your major experiences, your family background, your achievements, etc.
- Narrow the scope of your topic. The details gathered in the first step will be many. However, focusing on each is not reasonable, therefore, select a single topic and focus on it while describing yourself in great detail.
- Begin the essay by providing simple details about yourself, such as your name, what you do currently, and why you do what you do.
- Embrace modesty. While you might have accomplished a lot of things in your life, it is important to use phrases such as I was lucky enough, I was honored to, etc. The audience will appreciate your achievements and will not feel intimidated.
How to Write Body Paragraphs for an Essay about Myself
After the introduction, the next part involves supporting your angle or the aspect of your life you decided to focus on. In all essay writing exercises, this part is always crucial and often determines whether after capturing the attention of your audience, the writer will be able to maintain their attention. It is, therefore, essential for writers to ensure they are detailed and precisely stick to their thesis or focus. Therefore, when asked to write an essay, especially a personal essay, it is important for the writer to focus on a particular aspect which will guide or dictate the flow of the entire essay.
Here are tips on how to write body paragraphs for an essay about myself:
- Make use of topic sentences. Each paragraph should start with an argument that seeks to support the thesis statement.
- Make your body paragraphs detailed. While describing yourself, make sure you are detailed and never leave the reader guessing.
- Make use of examples. If, for example, you decided to focus on some of your high school swimming competitions, it is important to give specific examples and take your readership through one scene or competition. These help your essay and makes it possible for the audience to identify with your personal struggles or achievements.
How to Conclude an Essay about Yourself
How to conclude an essay about myself is the second part of essay writing that can be a huge challenge. The truth is, the story of your life is still continuing, and it can be a problem to find a suitable end.
However, here are some tips to help you write a conclusion for your personal essay:
- Choose moments that reflect changes or the beginning of change.
- Use an end that also mirrors the introduction of the essay.
When you visit different custom writing services, a majority of them ask students to always begin task by preparing an outline. An outline saves you time to formulate your arguments as you write an essay. It also helps you to decide on the scope of an essay early and thus write the essay in line with the range. Here is an example of an outline:
- Introduce yourself. Your name, what you do, where you are from, your family background, etc.
- An experience of being bullied.
- Thesis statement detailing the effects and trauma that ensues after a bullying experience.
- Why the bullying occurred.
- Effects or the bullying (Psychological and physical)
- How you coped or eventually overcame the effects.
- Restate the thesis statement.
- How I have helped some of my juniors to cope with the effects of bullying.
- Emphasis on the steps needed to eliminate bullying in schools and communities.