Essay on Mental Health Topics List
Mental health encompasses people’s emotions, behaviors, and moods which are directly associated with one’s reactions to certain problems or stressors (internal or external). This brings to mind the way people react towards anxiety or stress during their normal daily routines. Mental health includes or covers everything including the issues and problems which are associated or related to a person’s mental state. By analyzing a person’s mental health, one can tell how people make their choices as well as how certain decisions impact their lives and the direction they take. While writing an essay on mental health, writers need to think of issues such as panic, shame, stress, phobia, eating disorders, suicide, anxiety issues, etc. However, it is also essential that you understand the difference between mental disorders and mental health. This will guide you and help you avoid the common mistakes that other writers make.
According to reports by the World Health Organization, 50% of the world’s population have been or are victims of different mental disorders. However, since mental health is not viewed universally and there are places where it is not taken seriously, this number might rise. Instead of seeing mental health as the desired level of psychological wellness, people all over the world are still viewing it as an unsure continuum of mental disorder. Looking at the different definitions of mental health, one notes that there are different understandings or comprehensions of the term. Researchers are yet to agree on what to make of mental health, and this often leads to confusion. Before WHO reported on the 50%, an analysis of the world was done, and it was against certain aspects of the different definitions of mental health. These aspects included emotional stability, adaptability, living creatively, as well as flexibility, especially when dealing with life’s issues. After this analysis was done, the conclusion of the 50% was made and the types or forms of mental illnesses plaguing the world identified. Some of which include depression, anxiety, personality disorders, mood disorders, and psychotic disorders. Of all of these, anxiety disorder is the one which covers different or smaller issues including phobias, post-traumatic disorders, and panic disorders.
As a writer, the above information is indeed useful because you must understand what mental health entails as well as any information surrounding it. You must also be able to show the readers that you are well aware or capable of handling your topic. By the end of your essay, your readers should either feel informed, persuaded, or entertained depending on the goal of your essay. However, as is always the case, choosing the right topic is the first step to writing an essay. Essay writing is a process, and this process has several stages. Each stage requires your full attention or else you will end up with a poor grade. Therefore, take each step seriously.
After you have been asked to write an essay on mental health, carefully consider the purpose of your essay (are you supposed to inform, educate, entertain, persuade, etc.). Once you have done this and know exactly what you are required to do, find a good topic and conduct ample research. Research is the foundation of an excellent essay. Therefore, conduct good research and ensure you have enough materials to help you write your essay.
Here are good topics for an essay on mental health:
- Explain some of the symptoms of bipolar disorder.
- What is social anxiety and what are some of the proven ways of treating it.
- Discuss some of the reasons why people may choose to commit suicide.
- What is depression and what happens before one is depressed up to the point when one is depressed?
- Research and write a paper analyzing schizophrenia in young people.
- How is obsessive-compulsive personality disorder treated?
- Is family history linked to the transfer of stress and anxiety to a person?
- How do depressed people process information? How different is it to other people’s ways of processing information?
- Is sexual education important form children and what should be the age limit for it?
- Explain the link between a person’s age and the development of mental illness.
- How does social media create a disconnect between people and their routine or normal daily lives?
- What are some of the often ignored symptoms of social anxiety disorder?
- What are some of the ways you can help or helpfully intervene if someone is considering suicide?
- Explain what psychotic depression is and discuss some of its known signs and symptoms.
- Discuss some of the best and proven psychological treatment option.
- Define clinical depression and explain its early signs.
- Doctors often advise people to exercise. What are some of its benefits on one’s mental health?
- Discuss the stigma against mental illness and show why it is still rampant today.
- How can you be of help to a PTSD patient?
- Can eating be described as a disorder? Give examples of eating disorders.
- Define and explain what normal mental functioning entails.
- Are recurring dreams a sign of anything or should we ignore them?
- Define insomnia and explain how it can impact one’s mental state.
- How can one ensure their brain is healthy?
- Discuss the stages of brain development in teenagers.
As noted earlier, writing an essay gifts you with the opportunity to conduct extensive research on a topic. Additionally, remember that research is also an important part or stage in the writing process. Therefore, ensure that you are doing it well and that you are looking for relevant and credible sources. Not all sources will offer you credible or reliable information. Therefore, know how to differentiate between the sources. As you write, remember to write for yourself or to write something which you will enjoy reading.
In conclusion, the field mental health is quite extensive. You, therefore, need to narrow down on a single topic and expound on it. Do not try to include everything but find a narrow topic and pursue it.