A persuasive essay is generally an attempt by a writer to convince readers on the legitimacy or to agree on a particular issue or an opinion. In order to write a good persuasive essay, it is important to consider some steps:
a. Cautiously select a topic
It is important to choose a topic that interests you the writer first, and then write on a topic that is debatable.
b. Identify the controversy of the issue
In your introduction, clearly clarify the controversy and state your position and stand on the issue.
c. Provide support
The paragraphs as the main body of the essay should bring out specific support on the issue. The support might be from personal experiences, magazines, media, expert’s views, or interviews attended.
Enough details should be included to support your stand however only facts should be dwelled on.
e. Consider differing opinions
To make the essay interesting, it is advisable to consider conflicting points and trying to reject them.
f. Provide a forceful conclusion
When concluding, new content should not be introduced at this stage, instead conclude by inspiring some specific plea to action.
How to choose a good topic
In order to avoid boredom, it is important to choose a topic that engages the audience or the reader. The best way to do this is to choose a topic that you have knowledge in or some level of experience in and you are passionate about. Some techniques that can assist ensure this are:
Brainstorming will breed a variety of topics therefore giving you the best option that will give you the best ideas for your literary work.
b. Avoid over done topics
There are those topics that have been done in different forums around the globe such as abortion and global warming. It is therefore important to choose a topic that is fresh and new to the audience or readers.
c. Select a specific topic
By selecting a specific topic, it becomes easier to write an essay that is not too general and cumbersome to the reader rather it explores the positives on the topic which becomes interesting.
d. Research and information
It is advisable to choose a topic that is easier to find information and research on as it will not limit you in information and ideas.
e. Subject with an edge
The subject of the essay should be debatable, it should be logical in reason. The problem should still be vague, thus it should have supporters and opponents who are passionate. This will not only make your essay interesting but also stand out.
50 good topic examples
- Research shows that 80 percent of the youth in America watch pornography per month. Do you think this is too much or true? Write an essay convincing readers that is true.
- Some people believe that computer communication prevents us from developing interpersonal skills and limits our ability to have meaningful relationships. How do you feel about this issue? Support your reasons.
- Do you think farmers should continue to produce genetically modified foods despite the heated debate on the issue? Use specific reasons and examples to support your stand.
- Today there are more and more talk shows dwelling on the political situation in the country. Do you think such shows help in any way as regards to good policies? Explain your answer using specific reasons and examples.
- Many people feel that the European countries lead in global warming. Do you think this is true? Support your reasons using examples.
- The internet has being a formidable force behind development, however many websites show images and content such as pornography which is inappropriate. Should such websites be shut down for the sake of our children? State your position and support it with specific reasons.
- Chronicles of Narnia written by C.S Lewis book should be read by all kids as they grow because of its profound effect on young minds. Write an essay persuading readers to recommend this book to their children.
- Some people go right to work after college. Others take a year off to think on the way forward. Which do you think is the better choice? State your position and support it with specific reasons.
- Some people feel that the United States is the land of opportunities. Write an essay persuading readers that is not true.
- Do you think parents should let their children play violent videos games? Explain your reasoning behind this.
- Would it be a blessing or curse to live forever? Use examples and specific reasons to support your answers.
- Many countries in Africa have not reinforced security within their borders in your opinion, what should these countries do? Support your answer with specific reasons.
- Some people feel that smoking should be banned in all restaurants and bars in town as well as the city streets. Is this a good idea? Support your answer with reasons.
- Many people believe the United States is the best country in the world. Do you agree? Why or why not?
- A loved person or a feared person. Who makes a better leader? Take a stand and explain your answer.
- A doctor, a reporter or a politician. Which is the best profession? Use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.
- A good education, is it a right or a privilege? Explain your answer.
- Many people feel that the use of surveillance cameras in public places is violating their rights, however the government feels that this will help monitor acts of crime such as terrorism. In your opinion should the government continue with this initiative? Support your position.
- Do you think a little knowledge is a dangerous thing? Why or why not?
- Should a teacher be a child’s disciplinarian or should a parent be a child’s disciplinarian? Explain your answer using specific reasons.
- Is eliminating meat from your diet and choosing vegetables appropriate? Support your answer.
- Is it possible to lie with silence as well as with words? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
- Is it advantageous to learn history? Write an essay convincing those who oppose that learning about the past is important.
- Thomas Edison, the renowned inventor, is famous for having said, “Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration” Do you agree with this definition of genius? Why or why not?
- Some people feel that where words fail, music speaks. Write an essay that convinces people that music is worth listening to.
- It is often claimed that a great fortune is a great slavery. Do you agree with this claim? Why or why not?
- Machines eliminate the need for labor and the need for skills. Do you agree? Why or why not? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer.
- The United States has recently taken stringent rules and regulations on immigration procedures. Do you think this is good? Explain your answers using specific examples.
- Some people claim that khat has no harmful effects on your body. In your opinion, do you think khat should be legalized? Support your answer.
- A number of people are advocating for private space travel. Should this be encouraged? Why or why not?
- Due to the current hard economic times, financial education is important to everyone. Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
- Digital transmission in the media houses is now gaining immense support, does this mean the death of the newspapers? Why or why not?
- Is home schooling healthy for the growth of a child? Support your position with specific reasons.
- Surrogate motherhood is gaining popularity at a high rate. In your opinion, do you think this is a good example to future generations? Support your answer with specific reasons.
- Many people have this believe that robots will take over the work performed by humans. Do you think robots should be introduced in today’s world? Give specific reasons for your answer.
- Is living together before marriage advisable? Why or why not?
- Should art be censored? Support your position with specific reasons.
- In countries like the United States where illegal immigrants sneak in each year, should immigrant children get access to education in the United States? Why or why not?
- For many decades many have wondered about the possibility of life on other planets especially planet mars. Do you think there is a possibility of life in these planets? Does extraterrestrial life exist? Write an essay persuading readers to share your point of view.
- Despite the millions of dollars paid to professional athletes, they still use drugs. In your opinion, do you think this is wastage of funds? Why or why not?
- Do you think the press is abusing its freedom in today’s world? Explain your answers using specific reasons.
- An eye for an eye should not be a basis for determining an appropriate punishment. Use specific reasons and examples to support your position.
- Good habits improve physical, emotional and financial health. Write an essay persuading readers to follow this habit as a part of their lives.
- Many people believe that computer communication prevents us from developing interpersonal skills as well as developing meaningful relationships with others. How do you feel about this issue? Support your position.
- There are problems both personal and societal that result to obesity. Explain your answer using specific reasons.
- Can money make man happy? Is there a nature in money that produces happiness? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Friendship is the only string that ties the world together. Do you agree? Use specific reasons and examples to explain your answer.
- Is living for today ruin tomorrow? Why or why not? Explain your position.
- Globalization has made the world to seem like a small village. Do you agree? Explain your position using specific reasons.
- The American society is too competitive. Do you agree? Explain your answer using specific reasons.